Monday 8 August 2011

Reflecting on the past few weeks work.

When attempting to start a new project I usually start with random marks, or a work a very vague concept without too much care and just see what happens. After a few of these I reflect on what I've done and see if I can find anything in those images worth running with. The concept tends to change and refine very quickly as I go. I don't like the concept to restrain the work.


This is how my project has developed so far


I liked the idea of exploring grids so I ran with that. This painting ended up being quite interesting in it's own right. I think it has a lot of potential for further exploration although it took a lot of time for a tiny rough painting and having not really used paints much before I thought it better to leave this approach for later and work on things that would build up both my understanding of working with paint and also colour.


These were interesting but not particularly well composed. On reflection I think there's a lot of unnecessary stuff going on in there too. The idea behind it was vaguely similar to a colour field painting but using textures or patterns of the same colour combinations instead of different flat colours to create shapes and see how they interact.
 



Although these do work on some level, compositionally they aren't great and I think there is too much going on, especially in relation to my own limited experience with working with colour and paint. I think they need to be stripped right down. I think this photoshop mockup works better than all of them.


Even so, I think limiting my palette even more so is the way to go for now. Also taking out the thick borders and seeing how the textures interact without any breaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment